Wednesday 20 August 2014

INDEPENDENCE

It's now less than two weeks until I move to Spain. Even though I am deathly petrified about the whole moving to a different country and having to study in a different language thing, I cannot wait to have some independence again! Being at home with my family is nice but they're so annoying. It's just going to be nice to have a space that is all mine again, a room that is just mine, a sitting room where I don't have to hoover it until I want to, a kitchen where I choose when to do the dishes. I sound super ungrateful and I'm really not but once you get used to having your own house and then having to come back and live under someone else's rules is just so annoying.



I was remembering last night something from my childhood. One night when I was about 7 or 8, when I should have been in bed, I went downstairs crying to my Mam saying I was scared to grow up. Back then my tiny little mind couldn't conceive how I would survive on my own. Oh how little I knew. All I want now is my own space and independence. The thought of living alone in the future, like Sarah Millican (she lives in one flat, her husband in another) sounds so good to me. It's not like I hate other people, I loved my house in second year. Most nights we'd just sit around the kitchen table or in one of our rooms chatting until daft o'clock and it was fab. There was a Tesco at the end of our road (which stole all of my money) but the beauty of it was I liked both going alone, and going with someone else. I'm not really a dependent person, I'm quite happy to do things solo. I mean, I moved to Norwich not knowing anybody and it all grew from there. I didn't really have a choice after that.

I feel like I'm the kind of person who would probably be okay with going to the cinema alone. When I arrive in Spain there are all sorts of orientation and welcome activities being put on and I'm really excited. I kind of want to do all of them.



Each monday there's the Spanish film which I definitely want to become a routine thing that I do. I took a cinema module at UEA and will be taking one at UA and watching films could help me with the language. Hopefully. The subtitles are Spanish so it should be okay. Then there's the castle walk and the tapas course and trips to the aquarium in Valencia and a weekend trip to Granada! It all sounds so good and I can't wait. I'm hoping it'll help me make some pals otherwise I really will have to be independent, can't be dragging Francesca every which way I want to go!

I hope this year makes me more brave and willing to do new things. I never joined the feminist society at UEA because I only really knew it existed halfway through second year and didn't want to join in the middle of a year. I definitely will join when I get back - hold me to this! I think my current independence comes from introversion - I like being alone like in my bedroom, just chilling or writing things like this. I need to start being independent in an extroverted way, being independent outside in the real world. Hahaha. What a loser.

Until next time, hasta luego.

twitter | tumblr | instagram | facebook | pinterest | goodreads | spotify | youtube

Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. I agree on making new friends, but I'm not abandoning you in toto, that's for sure. =) Ps. We'll have to create a schedule for hoovering (boring as it might be -.-").

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything about this (bar the Spanish uni thing) is so relatable it's quite a relief reading it. I second the "...being independent in an extroverted way, being independent outside in the real world." thing too.
    You two will have so much fun in Spain! Aahh.

    ReplyDelete