Sunday 3 August 2014

L'ÉCUME DES JOURS | MOOD INDIGO | FILM REVIEW

On Friday when I told an Oxfam campaigner I was going to see a French film, all she responded with was 'why?' So many people miss out on so many films just because they're in a different language and it makes me sad. Anyway. I saw 'L'Écume Des Jours', translated as 'Mood Indigo' at Newcastle's independent 'Tyneside Cinema'. I do love an independent cinema, they show some really good films that the big chains don't, like anything in a different language or something like 'Boyhood' which I saw a few weeks ago.

In hindsight, this probably wasn't the best choice for the first French film to drag my mother to. It's very surreal and the fantasy elements are unlike any I've ever seen before. She just found it weird and it gave her a headache. I actually really enjoyed it. The cast was basically a collection of all the French actors I actually know. Romain Duris (my favourite ever) was wonderful as Colin. I think he's such a talented actor and he's played such a variety of characters; Xavier in L'Auberge Espagnole, Alex in L'Arnacœur, Louis in Populaire. Colin is very innocent and naïve and whimsical, much like the film itself. He's totally dedicated to Chloé, played by the ever brilliant Audrey Tautou. The main cast is completed by Les Intouchables' Omar Sy and Gad Elmaleh. Many of them have worked together previously and their chemistry together is lovely.



I won't spoil the story for any of you who choose to see it, and I recommend that you do, just because it was so beautiful and exciting on the eye. I really liked the use of colour and the way it changed from the beginning to the end of the film. No special effects were used which is incredible when you see what Michel Gondry has achieved. The word to describe it is definitely 'imaginative'. I now want to read the book it was based on, although I'm not sure there is an English translation. Maybe I should try it in French to help improve my ability. 

It's very cute and whimsical but the mood of the film does change, so be prepared as it does turn rather quickly. Also it features the Duke Ellington track 'Chloé' which I really love so that was another high point! To read a real review, click here

I really love French cinema so if you have any favourites, let me know.
Until next time, hasta luego.

twitter | tumblr | instagram | facebook | pinterest | goodreads | spotify | youtube

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment