Tuesday 10 October 2017

LIL TIPS FOR WHEN YOU'RE FEELING SAD

Today is world mental health day and my timelines have been flooded with posts about it and advice and I thought I'd give you some of my tried and tested methods. As you should all know by now (cos I never stop bloody saying so), my brain doesn't always work properly and I have some chemicals missing and I suffer a bit from depression and anxiety. It's a bummer. Some days I fall into a pit of misery and despair and can't bring myself to do anything. And some days I fall into a pit of misery and despair and remember these tips and it helps a little bit.

I thought I'd share them with you guys, in case you struggle too or even are just having a pure miserable day. Now, these work for me and are my ways of self-care. They might not be what works for you and that's fine. But hopefully seeing something written down can help you develop your own little list of tips and tricks to pull you out of the pit.
Enough blabbering, let's get on with it.

1) BRUSH YOUR TEETH
Okay it's a bit minging but on my worst days even this super simple task seems so insurmountable but honestly the feeling afterwards is like you've just sprinted a mile. Having a part of you that doesn't feel disgusting and unclean helps the rest of you not feel like a ball of death. 

2) DRINK A LARGE GLASS OF ICED WATER
Again, a bit of freshness to try to not feel like a shitty human. Your body is over 70% water and believe it or not, lying in bed doing nothing still means you gotta replenish that water in your system. The coldness is like a shock to the system reminding you you're alive which is also pretty great.

3) GET CHANGED
Sometimes this involves having a shower and getting all nice and clean and maybe even treating yourself to an exfoliation or shaving your legs to turn into a silky dolphin (if that's what you choose to do, I'm in no way implying that you gotta be hairless. you do you, gal) and even a wee hair mask. But this can also just be getting out of your pyjamas and putting real clothes on. It can instantly change your mindset and your mood.

4) SURROUND YOURSELF WITH MOTIVATIONAL QUOTES
Now I know it's clichéd and some people hate it but man am I a sucker for a good motivational thing on a postcard. I bought these from the Paperchase in Newcastle Central the other day and I just love 'em. They're stuck up on the wall behind my laptop so I see them whenever I look up and it's just good times pals.


If you can't quite read them, they say (l-r) 'You got this', 'Why limit happy to an hour?' and 'Girl Power' and they sit next to a thank you card from work and another Paperchase postcard that says 'You're one of a kind'. Loves it.

5) LISTEN TO YOUR FAVE MUSIC
I keep meaning to make a happy playlist to go to on my dark days but I have too many songs and end up getting to around F in my iTunes library and getting sick. Bearing in mind that my favourite artists are mainly in the bottom half of the alphabet, it's a monster of a task. So I tend to just go to the standard, i.e. 'Escapology' by Robbie Williams. It's the best album. I recommend you choose a bop or three rather than sad songs. Sad songs make you feel more sad.

6) LOOK AT PHOTOS OF PUPPIES
Who could be sad looking at puppies? I mean alternatively I guess you could go play with your own pet but I STILL don't have one (looking at u, parents) so for now I just scroll through the Google image search for 'puppies' to make my heart go fuzzy.

Hope this helps pals. I probably have more tips but can't think of anymore. Sozzles.
I plan to do some posts on starting uni soon but then again I might not blog again until 2019 so who knows!
Hasta la próxima
KB

No comments:

Post a Comment