Tuesday 12 August 2014

DECORATION

One of my biggest issues at the minute (other than the fact I move to Spain in less than three weeks whaaaat) actually concerns what happens when I reach my room in Spain! I'm looking for ways to make my room feel homely without bringing my lifesize cutout of Robbie Williams. In first year of uni one of the walls provided was basically a giant pinboard and mine was covered in photos and other bits and pieces. 




In second year, we weren't allowed to have stuff up on the walls. I ignored this and put photos up but then saw the blu-tac had left marks ALL OVER the walls so took them down as quick as possible. The marks were pretty bad but luckily my landlord didn't take any money out of my deposit. They were fab landlords. Anyway, most of the personalisation and decoration in my second year room came from my bed!


Please excuse the hipster photo of the mac haha I just wanted a photo of my room looking very Tumblr ;) I had beautiful bed sheets and blankets. Obviously bedding is super heavy so I'm not going to take up valuable luggage weight taking it over to Spain! My favourite part of my room last year was the lighting. The overhead light was so harsh and bright so I never really had it on, and mainly used this uplight I bought at IKEA. I used to struggle with sleeping in first year and so in second year I made more of an effort to have a bedtime routine (no, I'm not a child) and put my fairy lights on to have a chilled atmosphere and would turn my phone off and read for a while in an effort to make myself sleepy. It usually worked as well! I think I'm going to take my fairy lights with me to Spain because they're not that heavy but I worry about the difference in voltage but I'm sure I won't die. Fingers crossed!

When I tweeted @thirdyearabroad asking what people suggest to make your room homely, these were the answers I was given.


So I think I'm definitely taking photos and fairy lights! I really like the postcard idea too. I really want to make the most of my year and travel a lot and I think gathering postcards is nice because its just a small souvenir from each place that won't cost a lot of money! The only problem is I can't decorate with them when I first get there because I won't have travelled yet! On a side note, my Nana and Granda have been to soooo many countries and cities all over the world and have a magnet from each place. Their house is covered in frames full of magnets and it makes me so jealous. I really want to inherit their magnet collection.

On the theme of  minimalism I'm really not into ornaments but I love the idea of a clean space but busy walls. So along with photos and postcards, I thought about getting some kind of poster or art print and ended up stumbling upon an American website called Society6. Basically any artist can sell their stuff on there and the last few nights I've been going through pages upon pages of artwork and wanting them all. I've set up a separate bookmarks folder on Google Chrome just to store all the ones I love, it's ridiculous.

This is a collection of prints I found that I really really want. The same artist makes them for so many different cities but these six are my favourite. 


So from left to right, the city skylines are Newcastle (obviously my number one and favourite ever ever), London, Paris, New York, Edinburgh and Barcelona. You don't even understand how tempted I am to buy all of them when my student loan money comes in next week. I think they're so beautiful. At the minute I have three cartoon-style map posters up in my room of London, Paris and New York and whilst I love them I think these city skylines are so simple but also bright and colourful and I love them. The only problem is that they ship from America so if I order now they won't be here in time for moving to Spain so I might have to order them when I get there. I don't want to wait for getting my own house to get these because they might not be available then and I just want them now. There are probably another 30+ cities that the same artist has done and I'd love to have them all but unfortunately I haven't won the lottery. Ugh soooo beautiful I can't cope.

Another theme I've been looking at is New York. Obviously if you've read my New York post you'll know I'm desperate to go there and so now as well as looking at photos on Pinterest, I want all the prints available. These are some of my favourites.


 





Clearly I have a thing for cities, who knew? That pink sparkly one is soooo pretty. I'd buy a 4 foot canvas of that one, it's so lush. There are so many other designs on Society6 and so the next few are just other ones I've found and really really want/need/must have right this second.



I hated when I did art at GCSE but that was mainly because I was so bad at it. Seeing all this talent makes me really appreciate it and want to have all sorts of beautiful things on my walls. Oh how I long for infinite money!

If you like any of the prints and want the links just send me a message on any of my various social media thingies and I'll send you it (because I can't be bothered to do it for them all on this post, effort). Also message me if you have any year abroad decoration tips! I'll do another post when I decorate my room in Spain to update you all. (By all I mean three of you).

Until next time, hasta luego.

twitter | tumblr | instagram | facebook | pinterest | goodreads | spotify | youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment