Tuesday 26 August 2014

MY TOP 10 TV SHOWS

As a student I don't really watch TV the conventional way - I always watch it online on catch-up, or on Netflix, or downloading the whole thing and marathonning it. It means coming home for the summer watching actual TV with the adverts just annoys me. Following on from my top 10 films, today I'm going to tell you about my top 10 TV shows! I have most of them downloaded to my external hard drive so I may end up rewatching them in Spain.

NUMBER ONE - ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK

I feel like OITNB is the show everyone is talking about recently, and rightly so. I discovered season 1 on Netflix last summer and watched it all in a day. It was draining but AMAZING. The wait for season 2 was awful and when it finally arrived I was on holiday so had to wait until I was home because I knew I had to marathon it again - it's not really a show you can watch one episode and then leave. If you've never heard of it, it's based on the true story of a New York woman sent to a minimum security prison for a drugs crime. However, while (white, middle class) Piper Chapman is our way into the environment, we get to hear the stories of all kinds of women; sassy orphan Taystee Jefferson, recovering heroin addict Nicky, transgender ex-firefighter Sophia (played by the wonderful Laverne Cox, the lady of the moment). I think one of the best things about the show is how refreshing it is to see a female centric story, written by women about women. So much of the media is controlled by men (see video by Rosianna Halse Rojas) and this is totally different. And it's not just white women! There are Black, Asian, Hispanic. I truly love this show - it's so funny with its quips and one-liners but also it has made me cry and the characters are amazing. They aren't one-sided, in that there's one you hate and the 'hero' and 'the cheeky one'. It is wonderful in its diversity and if you haven't watched it, you really should.

NUMBER TWO - GREY'S ANATOMY

I started watching Grey's in February. I was caught up with the end of Season 10 by May. I watched over 200 episodes (of about 40 minutes) in 3 months, while all my work for second year was due. I LOVE THIS SHOW. It's a hospital drama but really all the drama is between the characters. I don't even really know what to say about it, except it is so addictive. Plus it made me cry probably once every episode. Plus the soundtrack is on point. Just go watch it okay. Maybe not if you're squeamish about blood and stuff. IT'S BACK IN SEPTEMBER YAAAAAS.

NUMBER THREE - BREAKING BAD

I was so late to the Breaking Bad bandwagon but man once you're on it, you're in it for the long haul. I started maybe a few months before it ended forever and finished it maybe two months after it finished so it didn't take me long at all to watch it. It's just a new way to write a show, focussing on one normal guy who you'd think was the hero and watch him turn into the most evil guy on the planet. I also loved it because there was a lot of Spanish dialogue so I pretended it counted as doing work. I managed to see it through to the end without being spoiled with the ending so if you're the same and don't know much about it, go now! Go watch it! It's rated the top TV series ever on IMDB so I'm not lying when I say it's amazing. 

NUMBER FOUR - FRIDAY NIGHT DINNER

The first British show yey! At first I thought FND was just another Channel 4 sitcom but honestly I don't think I've ever watched anything funnier. I am in tears most episodes. Simon Bird (Will from The Inbetweeners) is in it and that was enough for me, I think he is hilarious. A lot of the comedy is ridiculous, mainly from the father character, Martin. He is a very strange man. I think the best thing about it is the chemistry between the family. Most episodes follow the same pattern but it's still hilarious. 

NUMBER FIVE - GOSSIP GIRL

I just rewatched all six seasons in about 3 weeks, what's an unemployed student meant to do but abuse Netflix? Although on the surface it's quite superficial aka all about the wonderful sparkly lives of the beautiful people but I think as an exploration of the online culture we now exist in it's really interesting. Plus the beautiful people like Ed Westwick and Chace Crawford (before the dodgy lip incident) certainly help with the story. I really love Blair Waldorf because despite how evil she can be, she really is a strong female character and someone to look up to. Also it has driven my wanderlust for New York up about 17 levels. ITS ALL SO BEAUTIFUL. Also Hilary Duff was in it and she's fab.

NUMBER SIX - FRIENDS

Another New York show. I am ridiculous. I don't think you can really compile a list of the best TV shows without Friends. Enough said.

NUMBER SEVEN - AIR CRASH INVESTIGATION

Now everyone's gonna think I'm really weird. For a while I considered not doing Spanish and doing some kind of science at uni so I could be an air crash investigator. I just think it's really interesting and have always loved watching this show. Particularly the night before I fly somewhere. It just makes me safer in the knowledge that there haven't been that many crashes (past events excluded) but they almost always find the answer and improve the planes from then. Plus I really love documentaries, other faves including How It's Made and Deadliest Catch.

NUMBER EIGHT - HEBBURN

Hebburn came on just at the right time of my life, I'd just moved down south for uni and then here it was, a lovely sitcom based in the North East with the wonderful (and lush and gorgeous and hilarious) Chris Ramsey (who recognised me as his Twitter stalker). It helped my homesickness so much. I'm really sad it got cancelled after two series but it's such a lovely show and I'm glad it was made in the first place. If you like Geordies then you will love this. If you don't love Geordies, get out.

NUMBER NINE - SHERLOCK

Probably a good thing this made it onto the list or my future housemate Francesca would have killed me. She is the biggest Sherlock fan I know and whilst I love this show, I cannot compete with her love. Go contact her for an in depth analysis.

NUMBER TEN - SMASH

Why is it all the TV shows I love get cancelled? Smash is all about the creation of Broadway musicals and it sounds super cheesy (well it is) but I love it. It's set in New York. What else do you need? The original music is so good and in season 2 Jeremy Jordan is in it and he is soooooo gorgeous. I often dream of running to New York just to find him. Anyway you should watch this show if you like cheesy musical stuff and Jack Davenport and Debra Messing. It's great.

I haven't really reviewed these but basically I love them all and recommend you watch them all. Quite a few are on Netflix so you don't really have an excuse!

Until next time, hasta luego.

twitter | tumblr | instagram | facebook | pinterest | goodreads | spotify | youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment