Tuesday 14 October 2014

A WEEKEND IN THE TOON

Alternative post title: why going home for the weekend probably wasn't my brightest idea

Why? 
Because my homesickness that was almost tolerable before is now cripplingly bad and I'm counting down the days until this thing is over. That whole living in the light thing? Not happening today. Let's make today my Sunday. 


Starting at the beginning, on Friday morning I skipped my four hour class that I definitely could have gone to but decided I was too excited to go. Definite error. WHY SKIP MY CLASS TAUGHT IN ENGLISH?? Because I had nothing to do all day, I ended up leaving for the airport at 1pm. I was there by quarter to 2. My flight wasn't scheduled until half past five. Total error. Although anyone who knows me knows how bad my self-coined lateness anxiety is. I was once an hour and a half early for a train just because I didn't trust Norwich buses, having been brought up around Arriva buses, the worst in the whole world. ANYWAY. Friday, I decided to go for Burger King before going through security to kill some time. The airport was really annoying because all the staff spoke to me in English even when I spoke to them in Spanish. I was properly trying as well but as soon as they see that little burgundy booklet with the unicorn and the shrimp or whatever dodgy creature is on our passport, they revert to English. Sad face. Going through security was fun though because the woman was halfway through asking me to put my electronics in a separate box when she looked and I'd already done it. Such a pro flyer. 

In the departure lounge as soon as I sat down an old man from Lancashire started talking to me and it was lush. Not even ten minutes and I'd found a northerner, I was so chuffed. I spent the next three hours wandering around, talking to English people and slowly wearing down the battery on my phone trying to connect to the free airport battery that doesn't work. 

I flew with Easyjet for the first time since March 2012. I'm very loyal to Jet2.com except when their prices aren't as good. But obviously my plane was delayed. The airport didn't tell us that though! I only knew because I got a notification on my app and so I sent the information down the queue. Honestly the queue was amazing, I'd never seen a flight with so many old people. There were maybe 4 kids on my whole flight. As for Easyjet's speedy boarding, how bluddy ridiculous is that? ALL THAT HAPPENS IS THEY GET TO BE AT THE FRONT OF ANOTHER QUEUE TO GET TO THE SAME SEAT THEY'D BE SITTING IN ANYWAY. These people obviously have money to burn. They all ended up getting on the plane after other people anyway because there were around 10 wheelchair passengers all sat at the front of the plane so that took ages so the staff let the people on the back end of the plane without a speedy boarding pass in sight. Made me laugh. 

The flight itself was fine. Despite being delayed we arrived on time; we hit a bit of turbulence on the tailwind which sped up the journey by about half an hour, cracking. I stepped off the plane and it was soooooo cold that I ended up running through the airport, weaving in between slow walkers and sad people coming off their holidays. I know Newcastle airport like the back of my hand and so I was in and out in less than 15 minutes. It's so satisfying walking through baggage claim knowing you can go straight out the other side. I got home with my favourite Chinese takeaway in hand in an actual house with carpets and comfortable sofas and lovely family and a double bed with 700 pillows and an actual duvet. So perfect.

My weekend was both hectic and relaxed; Saturday we went for breakfast at Wetherspoon's, then went to see a Christmas display in a garden centre (I love Christmas, okay?), I visited my grandparents, had chip shop chips, went to visit my lovely nieces and nephew, saw the One Direction concert movie with my sister (SOOOO GOOD. I figuratively (not literally) melted every time Harry was on the screen) and then went home to watch X Factor but ended up making Howie a Spotify playlist since he's clueless. On Sunday we went food shopping for my brother since he's all alone in the house all week. Asda is such a wonderful place and it was so nice to be in a supermarket and to recognise everything and to understand what things are. Then my Grandma and Auntie and cousins came over for Sunday dinner which was spectacular. Whoever came up with the combination of mashed potatoes, vegetables, gravy and Yorkshire puddings is my hero. SO GOOD. Then I chilled and packed to come back and went to bed ready for a 6am wakeup.

I was properly woken up by a security search, not the best way to feel awake I must say. I had a Chicken Royale at 8am, new low. The flight back here was fine, I was sat next to a man scared of flying so I was chatting away telling him I'd keep him safe. I watched an episode of Gordon Ramsay's (my hero) Costa Del Nightmares and then Robbie Williams' Take the Crown Live in Tallinn from last summer and when it got to Angels I genuinely started crying. On a packed plane. No shame. Totes emosh. When I landed back here I didn't have enough time to make it to my seminar (boohoo) so I went to the beach instead. So far so good.

It was when I got back and actually had the chance to unpack and stuff that I realised how sad I was to be back. I was hoping the weekend in the cold would make me appreciate it here but it just made me remember what I miss even more. I didn't even mind leaving on Monday morning, it was arriving here that upset me. I should have had 6 hours of uni today but ended up going home after my first two because I felt so ill. It was just an upset stomach, not Ebola, but still a nightmare. I spent the rest of the day doing work and trying to do work and getting frustrated at not being able to do my work. We have so much to do here and it's overwhelming. I know it doesn't actually count but I'd like to at least be able to understand what's going on before I hand something in. Nah that's an overreaction. My erasmus Spanish language course is fine, English literature and cinema is fine and English translation is fine ish. It's the other two that are awful. Oh well. Only 9 weeks left of this term. I know this because I've counted all the weeks where I either go home or have people come here or we don't have class. I've also made a little calendar for my wall where I'll be checking off the weeks. Today marked 6 weeks since I moved here. Just 35 to go. I know that's the worst worst worst attitude to have about this whole thing but it's helping me cope so just let me, okay. Today also marks 287 days or 41 weeks off coke. It makes me feel better about having 35 weeks to go because this year has flown but also it's been a long long time. It feels like an eternity since I last had coke. Oh well, only 11 weeks to go. 

I've spent this evening properly unpacking and tidying and organising. Tidy room tidy mind and that. How many weeks do you think is necessary before I can pack in and go home? Just hypothetically. I don't mean it. Lol.

Look at this beaut picture that I made my Facebook cover photos. It's one of those prints from Society6 that I ended up buying today to cheer myself up. Decided to start my collection. I will get the rest next summer if I have money.



Final thoughts that I can't be bothered to make into paragraphs.
  • Next weekend my three pals Georgia (who I just misspelled as Geordie, as I always do), Stefano (our sweet JPC prince) and Gemma (the lovely lovely loveliest) are coming to stay in Alicanteeeeee and I can't wait to see them and smush them all and get drunk. Because it's obviously going to happen.
  • My rents landed in Lanzarote tonight to see my grandparents (and to decorate their apartment) and I'm incredibly jealous.
  • I'm excited to see Torrie and Sarah tomorrow because I've missed my chicas and I should have seen them today except I came home to die. 
  • I need to write in my five year diary, I don't think I have done for two weeks, oopsy.
  • Must remind myself to go food shopping tomorrow otherwise tomorrow I will be eating my third bowl of pesto pasta in as many days. Not ideal.
  • This weekend I really have to try and get some of my bigger pieces of work done, like the portfolios I have to hand in at the end of the semester and the first essay for UEA.
  • I really need to see One Direction on tour.
  • I probably will end up seeing Take That on tour even though they're a three-piece now.
  • It would be really good for my mental health if Robbie Williams did a Beyoncé and dropped a surprise new album. Tomorrow. But I know he's taking a break and is waiting for a new baby and bla bla bla but a girl can dream.
  • I really hope my Erasmus grant comes in this week. I am poor.
  • Drizzly England weather in Southern Spain is not what I signed up for.
  • Being at home and being complimented on weight loss is gr8 gr8 gr8. Should continue doing that. All I've done so far in Spain is eaten pasta, apparently that's good for you now?
  • I miss my best friend Hollie a lot.
  • I miss my Norwich pals.
  • I miss LCS.
  • I'm sad and writing a blog post, story of my life.
I really don't want all of these to be sad and depressing, I'm really sorry if you read these all the time and get annoyed at me not making the most of this opportunity and all that bollocks. Not going to lie to my own blog though, am I? Hopefully tomorrow won't be too difficult of a day and I'll have something nice to tell you about.
Until next time.
Hasta luego.

1 comment:

  1. KATY. *hugs*
    I have to say that I've neglected my diary too, which is probably not helping me find the positive things everyday. I say let's get back to it pronto and start writing everyday again! :D

    Home sounded fun, though! But yeah, you'll get back to the Spanish routine again and hopefully it'll pick up from that. :)

    ReplyDelete