Saturday 14 March 2015

FILM RECOMMENDATIONS

As one of my new year resolutions, I wanted to start watching more films, and more decent films. I've been noting down everything I've watched so I thought I'd pick the best ones for anyone looking for something to watch.


I think I'll pick the top 7/31 I've watched this year which means they really have to be good.

GONE GIRL 

This one might be best to watch if you've read the book but I just thought it was so good. The best part was seeing the character of Amy come to life - it's very rare to see such a complex, stellar female character. A lot of time the 'strong woman' is written about but Amy's not just strong, she is real. There's not just one character trait about her. I'll not spoil the plot but please please read or at least watch this. The film is very very faithful to the book though - I tried watching immediately after finishing reading and it just felt exactly the same so maybe don't do them both in quick succession.

WILD

Another film with an amazing female lead. Reese Witherspoon is so so so good in Wild and it's such a far cry from Elle Woods in Legally Blonde. The film tells the (true) story of Cheryl Strayed and her journey across the Pacific Crest Trail following the death of her mother. At times it was hard to watch but it's so worth it. 

STILL ALICE

Basically I watched all the films from the Best Actress Oscar nominations and they were all great okay. I'm basically telling you to go watch more amazing ladies. I wasn't expecting a lot from Still Alice but man did it hit me. Julianne Moore plays a successful university professor hit by early onset Alzheimer's and the film follows her descent and battle with the disease. It was so so sad but just felt very honest. I was not surprised at all at her performance winning all the awards.

DRUNKEN BUTTERFLIES

This is an odd one because I didn't think it was like Oscar-worthy but I enjoyed it a lot. Drunken Butterflies is a film made and set in the North East and I only found out about it because the Tyneside Cinema were advertising a one off showing and obviously since I'm not home I couldn't go so I ended up renting this off iTunes. Yes, I actually paid to watch it. It follows the drama of the popular lasses of Byker and their various house parties. They just screened it in New York and it makes me so proud of my North Eastern roots and I recommend it a lot. It was very dark but still cheered up a homesick geordie.

WHEN HARRY MET SALLY

An oldie but I'd never actually seen this up until a few weeks ago. I was missing out so so so bad. If you like Sleepless in Seattle/You've Got Mail you will love this, even without Tom Hanks. Because Billy Crystal is just as fab. I doubt there's anyone left who hasn't seen this and it was just me who was out of the loop but just go go go.

PRIDE

Oh my God. Don't watch this if you don't like crying at films, because I spent the entire last twenty minutes in tears. Pride is about a Gay and Lesbian group raising money for a group of miners during the strike in the 80s. It's just so uplifting and inspiring but also sad but just so so good. Watch this please 

WHIPLASH

Late to the party on this one but I've wanted to watch this basically since I heard about it back in December(?) and OH MY GOD. OH MY GODDDDD. This was intense. Like I genuinely sat during it just gobsmacked and in disbelief and it was so good. It only lasted 100 minutes but felt like 1000 with how hard and just mad it was. I don't think I could have coped watching it in a cinema, I probably would have passed out.

And that's it! I don't think I would say anything I've watched this year so far has been bad... I didn't really enjoy Frances Ha as much as I thought I would and Into the Woods was disappointing but so far, so good! If anyone has any recommendations for me that'd be fab. Any Spanish recommendations would be even better, I feel like I should be watching more Spanish stuff. Gonna watch Birdman next so don't recommend that. MUCH LOVE

Hasta luego

twitter | tumblr | instagram | facebook | pinterest | goodreads | spotify | youtube

A GEORDIE ABROAD(IE)

No comments:

Post a Comment