Wednesday 11 March 2015

ERASMUS YOLO

A certain attitude seems to have developed between myself and my friends. "ERASMUS YOLO" basically entails not caring about things being hard or stressful or annoying because we're on erasmus and yolo. 

Need a reason to skip a lecture? Erasmus yolo. Handing in a piece of work you've not really put any effort into? Erasmus yolo. Booking multiple flights at the same time? Erasmus yolo.

I am one of the lucky ones, coming from one of the universities where they don't care if you pass your modules; we just need exam transcripts proving we actually did something this year. It's such a blessing because whilst the majority of my modules are easy enough to get through I definitely picked some that are a bit too challenging so having that weight off my shoulders is great. It actually allows me to enjoy my time here rather than worrying about all the work I have to do because I know it doesn't matter.

I definitely don't go as far as some people, saying yes to every opportunity or taking myself off to a different city every weekend but the beauty of erasmus yolo is that you can do whatever the hell you want. Who's to tell you you're doing your year abroad wrong? Nobody expects an entire personality change so there was never any question about me turning into a party animal. This blog is a geordie abroadie, not a geordie shore cast member abroadie (which definitely doesn't have the same ring to it).

I just think the erasmus yolo mindset is a good one to live by because everyone needs to chill out a little bit. Most people on a year abroad will have just done two years of a levels (aka hell) followed by the first two years of uni and deserve a little time off. I'm treating this as my gap yaaaaaaah, where I don't have to push my brain too hard. The whole living in another country thing is enough of a mental struggle.

It might make going back to studying properly in my final year at uni very hard but to be honest, I miss my LCS and UEA pals too much so being reunited with them will make me want to attend every single seminar and spend all my time working on campus because it means I get to spend more time with the people I've been stolen away from but who know exactly what I've been through and how hard this thing is.

So in short, if you're currently on your year abroad or are gearing up to go, please just chill a bit. Nothing matters! None of this is real! We're not really Spanish/French/Japanese/wherever you are-ish/ese so we don't really have to work that hard. Just enjoy your time away as much as possible and don't stress about handing in a shoddy translation because you spent the weekend on the beach instead... erasmus yolo.  



Hasta luego

twitter | tumblr | instagram | facebook | pinterest | goodreads | spotify | youtube

A GEORDIE ABROAD(IE)

2 comments:

  1. This is literally what I've been telling people who spend too much time stressing about work on their year abroad! I've tried to explain that I'd rather have memories from all the fun things I did and all the people I met than from stressful almost impossible work that counts for nothing! My personal favourite quote from this: "don't stress about handing in a shoddy translation because you spent the weekend on the beach instead... erasmus yolo" haha, brilliant!

    Imogen // imogenscribbles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Imogen! Took me a while to realise I was stressing over nothing but once I did, that was it. This year is what you make of it after all. Hope you're having a fab time!

      Delete