Friday 23 January 2015

C25K DIARY

So hello again pals! I feel like this is something I should write about on my blog since I've actually stuck to it. Obviously at the start of the year a lot of people take up new diets/fitness regimes/crazy coke challenges and I am one of those people. I was joking with one of my friends about doing the Great North Run but that is so out of the question it's ridiculous. However, the conversation lead to me downloading the NHS 'Couch to 5k' app, so thanks for taking the mick out of me, Cameron :-)

I didn't really tell anyone I was starting but after the first "run" I posted a few instagram pictures and now I feel like it's on all of my social media so why not this one too. I wrote a little post after each day so here are the first two weeks! I plan to continue the plan and the posts weekly so check back next week I guess.

WEEK ONE - 5 MINUTE WARM UP WALK, 60 SECONDS RUNNING & 90 SECONDS WALKING FOR 20 MINUTES, 5 MINUTE COOL DOWN WALK

W1R1 13/01/15

The idea of taking on the challenge was scary but I just left the house as soon as my running shoes were delivered and I think I will continue from here! It was hard and it hurt but I don't think it was as hard as I expected. My brisk walks weren't very brisk by the end and for one of the runs I just didn't so I will need to build that up but otherwise a success! Didn't tell anyone I was doing it but I felt so proud for having done it that I did put a little something on instagram. Probably for next time I should eat breakfast before I go and remember to use Runkeeper and take sunglasses/water. Feeling good.

A photo posted by katybaines (@katybaines) on

W1R2 15/01/15
Went at 9:30 ish, as soon as I got up. I feel like this is gonna have to be how iIdo it in order to keep motivation levels up. Cold and rain = difficult running. I don't ...enjoy.... it? But I don't hate it? I felt like I might die but I'm just proud of myself for keeping it up. I managed to run on all the parts I should have but the brisk walking ended up the opposite of brisk, but at least I didn't stop. In Spain I will need to go before the sun gets hot and always have water or I will die. Used Runkeeper for the first time on this one! In 30 minutes I did 1.84 miles or 2.96k. My route is a bit rubbish but as a beginner I don't want to go all over the place and go too far and have to slowly walk back. 5/7 happiness.

W1R3 17/01/15
I was meant to go as soon as I got up this morning but the rents dragged me to spoons and through the shops then my grandparents visited and then we went to my sister's house so I wasn't free until 4pm (almost sunset) so I was gonna put it off and go tomorrow but decided to suck it up and just go. SO SO COLD. I found it easier than the last two but still got a stitch 20 minutes in. It's so weird cos I'd forgotten getting stitches was even a thing, shows how long it's been! I completed all the runs and didn't stop but once again the brisk walk wasn't very brisk by the end. This is definitely going to take a while. Definitely prefer going in the morning, there were some chavs out and they kept looking at me and I felt quite intimated but it's okay. Ended up being able to do a bit further than the previous two days as i'd finished my normal route before the podcast ended so I think I probably did over 3k this time. Couldn't use Runkeeper as my phone was dead and I couldn't run that and the podcast and Spotify for half an hour! Happy to have completed the week 8/10 happiness/pride.

WEEK TWO - 5 MINUTE WARM UP WALK, 90 SECONDS RUNNING & 2 MINUTES WALKING FOR 20 MINUTES, 5 MINUTE COOL DOWN WALK

W2R1 19/01/2015

First run of week 2 meant upping to 90 seconds of running with 120 seconds of walking. Woke up at like 9 but went at 10. Probs should have gone at 9 because it started hailing as I was doing my 5 minute warm up walk and hasn't stopped since... it's now half 3 in the afternoon. I didn't enjoy running in the rain but felt more like I'd achieved something so I dont know. Going with my new running playlist really helped because it's full of fast songs. However I feel like fast songs get slower while I'm running which doesn't help. I didn't mind the increase in running time at all, I was happy with that. Plus I went 3.2k in a hailstorm so I'm proud. As if I've done 4 already! In the space of a week. KB supergirl woohoo.

W2R2 21/01/2015
First Spanish run! I wanted to go early in the morning but I had an exam so came home first and ended up so knackered that I didn't want to go at all. I made some pasta ready to come home to and decided to just get out and stop being a pansy. I just went along the path opposite the beach because I don't have a field to run around here but it was surprisingly nice. There was a mishap in that Runkeeper made the volume on the c25k app turn off so I missed when to stop running and ended up running for like 3 1/2 mins which wasn't ideal although still a good thing I guess. Also during one of the walking bits I pressed pause on the podcast by accident so all my timings were screwed but it just meant I ran a bit more than I should, again a good thing I suppose. In the end I did 4k in 40mins and I'm very happy. I like running in the sun more than the hail.

W2R3 23/01/2015
Genuinely can't believe I've got through two weeks of this programme. 2/9 makes the other 7 seem so achievable. Today's run I think was more difficult than Wednesday's because I went out at the sun's highest point around 1pm rather than the afternoon, and I was wearing a hoodie so I struggled with the heat. Next time, no hoodie! Looking forward to next week but also scared. There are only 4 runs: it goes 90 secs running, 90 secs walking, 3 mins running, 3 mins walking, then repeat that again. But I didn't die last week and I didn't die this week so I won't die next week. Been looking more and more into getting some decent shoes but they're so expensive and I don't trust the Spanish postal system so I don't know. I keep putting it off but I feel like spending €100 in the JD Sports in Plaza Mar is inevitable. I've ordered a little phone armband thingy because carrying my phone is so off-putting. I feel way better about life so I'm finally posting about it on my blog yaaaay!

A photo posted by katybaines (@katybaines) on

So there we go! Honestly don't think I could recommend C25K more - I am probably the most unfit person I know but I have survived 6 runs! 2015 seems to be a good year so far so may as well do something good with it. I've figured out that ridiculous goals motivate me: last year it was a year off coke and this year I am working towards doing the GNR in 2016 so I have just less than 18 months to train. 
Until next time, hasta luego

twitter | tumblr | instagram | facebook | pinterest | goodreads | spotify | youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment