Friday 7 April 2017

CATCH UP

Hola guapis
Once again, it's been a while, hasn't it? I have no excuses, I work 16 hours a week and still never find any time for blogging. It's such a shame because I enjoy it so much but there's always a book to read or a siesta to be taken or a pool to lounge around.

 
ANYWAY. I'm not going to lie to yous. It's currently 23:18 on the 6th of April and I am staying awake tonight to hear Harry Styles' debut single at 1am so what better time to write a wee catch up. The last time we spoke was just before New Years and I was a happy little bairn then. I'm pleased to say things are only getting better. My job just makes me so happy! I think this post might just be about how much I love my job because that's essentially all I do with my time lol. But before we get into that, let's catch yous up on what's happened on the island in 2017 so far.

My fam were still around for the first week of the new year so we did all sorts of cultural stuff (see also: drinking in bars). 
Our Howard turned 60(!) and we celebrated with beverages and a crazy man in a mankini. 
Tilikum, magnificent orca and star of the documentary Blackfish passed away and it made me super sad but also he's at peace now which is, at the end of the day, a really good thing. His story has changed the face of cetacean captivity forever. 
I started the year watching two of my most anticipated films ever, La La Land and I, Daniel Blake. My life was changed a lil bit. 
My bestest buddy pal Cameron came out to visit me and we had the best week; we went to los Jameos del Agua and LagOmar and Timanfaya and Puerto Calero and Playa Blanca and walked from Arrecife to Puerto del Carmen and ate loads and played mini golf and chilled by the pool and plodged in the sea and it was just the best. Love ya Cammy. 
We celebrated Peace Day at school which was super lovely. 





I started private classes with my adorable English twins at school and upped my hours from 12 to 16. 
My auntie and cousins came to stay for a week which was ace. Once again it involved exploring and food - what more can you ask for? I'll tell you what, a visit from your parents. The afternoon before my auntie's birthday I had a siesta and upon waking up I found my mammy in the apartment. Soz what??? The nutters came over to surprise me and it was the bestest feeling ever. Love u padres. I finally rode the water taxi from PDC to Puerto Calero!! Didn't see any whales though. We put up one of those super cheesy love locks like tourists do. 



I had my first spanish hair cut and it cost me 100€ (lol why) and the colour was gr8 but the cut not so much haha oops oh well. Lesson learnt. 
We celebrated Carnaval at school and I was supposed to dress up as Pocahontas but I was more... Pocahontas inspired. Hahahaha. Most of the day the kids were asking me what I was supposed to be but it was still a super fun morning. 



I spent a lot of time in the sun getting incredibly sunburnt cos I am a silly guiri. I went on a school trip with year 4 to a salt mine and learnt so much about salt. That knowledge will carry me through my life, I'm sure. 
Article 50 was triggered and so was I. Lol. 
I sent many messages and emails and facetimes and phonecalls to friends and fam scattered everywhere cos I miss em loads. 
Today was el día de la mascota (pet day) at school and it was one of my stranger days at work. They tell you not to work with kids or animals and we had both. I was on puppy patrol and had to make sure the kids and the dogs didn't attack each other. It was great. The puppies were adorable just because they are and the kids were just so cute because they're so small and their reactions to 30+ dogs were amazing.



And now I'm on countdown until I go home for Easter on Saturday! Honestly my year here has completely flown by. When I come back I'll only have seven weeks left at school and that breaks my heart a little bit. It's not that before Christmas I ever had any problems with going to work but since coming back it's just been golden. I know I'm super privileged to have a job I really enjoy and yeah normally at the end of the day when I leave school I'm like "shit me, I hate them all, what a horrible day" but in the long term it's just so good. I go into school and know what to expect and what I have to do and which classes I have and how I need to act with certain groups. It takes me a while to walk anywhere because I get stopped for hellos and cuddles and high fives. Since upping my hours I now teach year 3 as well and because they're smaller they're cuter and they're so much more cuddly. Even the little boys in year 3 like cuddles, whereas the year 4s are now turning 10 and they're too big for that. 
The kids are all coming on so well and are so much more confident in their English and speaking to me. Even the ones that were still quite wary of me or just super quiet anyway before Christmas are coming up to me to say hello and ask questions and it's just such a gorgeous feeling. Obviously I have my favourites in each class and I just want to pick em all up and squish em. Lately I've just been speaking entirely in Spanish with them at school because it's just easier. They don't know yet that I've been studying for years, I think they think I've just picked it up from being in Spain. Mind, a few of the English kids have figured it out and it's fab having a lil secret with them. At first I slipped into Spanish because it was easier in my head but now it's more just they're all such fascinating kids and they've all got stories to tell and questions to ask and I want to know about them and their lives! I want to talk to them like people not students where our only topics are things out of the text book. 
I already know it's going to be really hard to leave in June. I envisage tears from me and probably from some of the girls in my 'fan club'. I want photos with all of them. I already can't wait to come back and visit next year and the next and the next. I've got at least 3 years where I can go back and whole year groups of kids will remember me which will just be adorable. I got so lucky being placed in a school so close to the apartment. For being so scared and anxious and even planning on not doing the programme I've had the best experience. I know some people have shitty times and I think it does come down to the school you're in. The staff at Ajei have been so warm and accommodating and respectful of the rules of my position and just proper great. 

Getting a bit emosh now lol. I don't ever stay up this late and I've got a bit of a dicky tummy but I think that's because I'm tired and excited for Harry's new song. Lol. 

I have other posts planned and drafts semi-written about my new years resolutions and the best books I've read this year so do look out for those. 

We're now just half an hour away from solo Harry so I will see you on the other side of the light.
All the love,

KB

No comments:

Post a Comment