Wednesday 19 December 2018

2019 GOALS

Here she comes again, blogging about New Years' Resolutions. I can't help it. This is like, the fifth?? time I've posted about my resolutions/goals for the New Year and I don't plan on stopping this train ever. I find it so helpful, even if I don't accomplish them all. I wouldn't say I'm goal driven, but I like to plan and have aspirations and guidelines. I don't like things to be up in the air or unsettled, I like end dates and countdowns and solid plans and concrete ideas of what's going on. I know NY resolutions aren't for everyone and that's okay.



As always, we'll start with how 2018's resolutions went. I normally do a round up of the year and put this part in that post but I can't be bothered to write it yet. We'll see.

1) MENTAL HEALTH
My mental health was my main priority when 2018 began. I had a very up and down year, high highs and incredibly low lows. I completed a course of therapy, pretty much took my meds the whole year (except the beginning of December oops) and tried to look after myself. I'm calling this one a win. I am so aware of how important my mental health is and it will always be one of my top priorities.

2) EXERCISE
This one I cannot call a win. Ever since 2015 when I completed the couch to 5k programme and then got injured and stopped, I've wanted to do it again. And never have. This year I had a place in the Great North Run and once again gave it up. It makes me sad that I repeatedly don't stick to this so something has to change.

3) LEARN TO DRIVE
Once again, a no. This one we can blame on money troubles. I was so poor in 2018 and am ending it once again in piles of debt. Sad.

4) SAVE £1,000
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. See above.

5) BE HAPPY WITH MA RESULT
This one is a yes! Like everyone, I was aiming for a Distinction. To be fair, with an average mark of 68%, I wasn't far off. However, I had to work full time ish in an office, was suicidal and went through therapy, had a two hour commute to campus and fell in love with a boy miles away, all of which scuppered my concentration levels in one way or another. So I'm pretty bloody pleased with myself that I managed to pass the degree, never mind to the standard that I did.

6) READ 40 BOOKS
Plus, 6.5 was that 5 of those books be in Spanish. I wasn't too far off this one. As it stands, I've read 27 and might be able to get through about five more before the end of the year. Chica got time. 4 of the ones I've read were in Spanish so that's also decent going! 



7) BLOG ONCE A MONTH
I didn't do this but I don't really care. My blog isn't a life priority for me and the posts I have written, I'm really proud of. Particularly the ones about being plus sized and PCOS. I like to broach topics I don't often see written about and try to be as informative as possible. I think these two really helped some people.

8) GIVE UP COKE
I've got a pint of Disaronno and Coke sat next to me as I write this. The less said about it, the better.

9) SEE PALS MORE
I don't know about this one. I got to see pals I've not seen in years (AREET GEORGE) and hung out with my love Hollie loads which was beaut and made some excellent new ones but it's still a struggle for me because everyone is everywhere and if I'm flying or getting the megabus anywhere, it's to my boy. I know that's not a great stance to have but when your lad is long distance, he takes priority. Once I live down there with him I hope to see more people but we'll see. Thank the lord for Whatsapp.

And those were my 2018 goals. Overall I think I made them too vague and maybe unattainable (see save £1,000 lol). I'm okay with my effort on them but a lot of the time, my mind was elsewhere.

In 2019 I want that to be different. But life is a tricky little thing and one never knows what will happen.

1) READ 30 BOOKS
1.5 - Have 3 of them be Spanish novels. I always like to have a reading goal and Goodreads helps with this as they set a Reading Challenge and show you your percentage and how far ahead/behind you are which I find really helpful. Hopefully 30 is possible since I'm in Lanzarote for the first half of the year but to be fair, since I moved here in September I've only finished 4 books. I think I've got my head back in the reading game though, so we'll see.

2) START DRIVING LESSONS
See, less vague. Even if I only have one driving lesson on 31/12/19, I want to at least start. This is the year I end my floaty education life and start employment properly and being able to drive will be so important.

3) FIND A HOBBY/CLASS
It's not really a secret but neither have I explicitly said so online but once I finish here in Lanzarote my aim is to move down to Oxfordshire. Where wor lad is. AHH. Once I get there, chica is gonna need some friends and also some activities. I've never had anything to say when people ask "what are your hobbies?" other than reading and sleeping. I think I'd like to try kickboxing or yoga. Despite being short and pretty chill, I have quite a lot of fire and strength and aggression in me and I think it could be good to get it out at kickboxing. Or calm myself the hell down with yoga. We'll see.

4) END THE YEAR WITH NO DEBT TO FAMILY
Broseph, this one is for you. I really hate how much money I owe other people and yet haven't done anything about it because I'm a shit. 

5) FIND A REAL JOB
Basically I don't want to finish working here in Lanzarote and end up working somewhere as a stop gap and get stuck there. I want to get into a proper field and use my education. I kind of have an idea of the sort of thing I want to do so, with a bit of luck and hard work we'll get there.

6) RUN 10K
Here she goes. Putting in an exercise related goal again. I know this should be possible. My body can run 5k because I've done it before. From there it's just carrying on until you hit 10. I need to start couch to 5k and build up slowly but I loved running when I did it in Alicante and I need it to be something I do forever or I'll always regret it.

7) CONTINUE WITH ROMANCE
This is a weird little one, isn't it? Who'd have thought I'd be so soppy. Anyway, I'd like to continue how ridiculous I am with Simon, sending him love letters and organising dates and visits and fun things. We really don't want anything to become stale, especially once we're closer together. He is one of my top top top priorities and not that I imagine we'd ever lose the sparkle, I want it to stay something I'm conscious of.

8) CUT PHONE SCREEN TIME TO 2 HOURS PER DAY
That pesky little iPhone app counter thing is naughty and tells me how naughty I am. I know I spend too much time on my phone. I am getting better; I've turned off most of my notifications and badges for social media - instagram, facebook, twitter, and snapchat notifications are totally unnecessary and they can wait. My average at the minute is about 4 hours (DISGUSTING) so I'm going to have to work hard to cut that in half. 



9) DONATE BLOOD TWICE
Last year I wasn't able to donate because my iron levels were too low (thanks mirena coil) so this year I'd like to donate at least twice, if not the three possible times you can do. It's difficult because I'm in Spain and don't plan on coming back between Christmas and finishing in June (depending on Easter flights and how much I need to see Simon) and British people can't donate in Spain because of Mad Cow disease so we'll see if I can squeeze two trips in. I really hope so though because donating blood is something I think is essential.

10) TRACK ALL SPENDING
You lot know how much I need this. There are apps and excel and bloody notebooks designed specifically for this purpose. My boyfriend is an IT wizard. I have no excuse. I'm an adult now and need to see what I'm doing with my money.

11) PERFECT MY YORKSHIRE PUDDINGS
It's important to have a fun goal chucked in, right? I am very good at Yorkshires when they go right. However sometimes they don't - they're either too stodgy or the oil isn't hot enough or the mixture isn't quite right. This is going to require a lot of practice but I am up for the challenge.

12) PRACTICE CATALAN ONCE A DAY ON DUOLINGO
I was so good at this before I moved to Lanzarote. I had a one month streak! I really enjoyed the process of learning a new language as it's something I haven't experienced properly for about 10 years and I loved it. This is something that's literally only 10 minutes each day so fingers crossed that little Duolingo owl can keep me in line.

13) MAKE MUSIC PLAYLISTS
I've wanted to do this for years and never had the time/motivation/creativity. Then Jack Edwards of Youtube/Durham Uni fame posted a tweet about his Spotify playlists and I bloody loved it and obviously want to steal his idea as I still lack the creativity.


14) ONE NEW RECIPE EACH MONTH
I love cooking but always get stuck making the same things because they're easy and recipes are often full of stuff that is either a) inaccessible or b) onions. And I HATE onions. But this is a fun goal and I can omit/avoid onions as much as physically possible.

And there we have it. Some hopefully attainable but also fun goals for 2019. I love posts like these so shoot me yours over for a deeks! 
I am currently one day away from finishing work for the year and two days away from being home for Christmas and being able to cuddle my puppies and open all these parcels containing Christmas presents for my gorgeous boy. I don't think he quite understands how ridiculous I am quite yet.



All the love, mes petits filous.

KB x

No comments:

Post a Comment