Monday 8 December 2014

UPS AND DOWNS

I’ve written before about the year abroad being a curve, how you either start feeling great and go through dips of hating it or loving it even more. Whilst I agree with that concept, to me it feels like every day itself has one of these curves. At least every day this week I’ve gone from feeling great to awful, or from ridiculously low to buzzing. It’s so odd.

It’s like everything is magnified. Bad things become really bad because that’s when you want to see your friends and family and talk about it and have the problem solved. For me, anyway, it feels like nothing can fix the low moments and you’re going to feel low forever. So then fab moments are automatically made ten thousand times better compared to these low shitty moments. It’s so weird.

I suppose it makes sense that being in unfamiliar territory heightens all your emotions – everything is different and your head is all over the place and the littlest thing can be the best or worst thing to happen to you in a while, like finding Heinz beans in the supermarket or your laptop not connecting to the wifi.

Take this week for example; I had some really bad moments. Pals around me can testify that when things have been bad I have been a miserable nightmare to be around, soz pals. I’ll make up for it somehow. My laptop has broken a bit and now my ‘w’ key doesn’t really work (might be from when I spilled coke on it September 2012) and iTunes won’t open and my speakers don’t work so I have to either use headphones or my external speakers. I’m super skint and had to beg people for money, that was a low point. I was so excited at the prospect of moving my early January exams to before Christmas but then I got an email saying it’s not possible to move one of them and just because I’m an Erasmus student I don’t have the right to change official exam dates. Oh my God, I was gutted. Realising I’d have to come back here on the 8th rather than the 17th of January was horrific. Not that it’ll come as a shock to people but I’ve been struggling a lot here and I was really looking forward to having an entire month at home, so finding out my plans were ruined and that I’d have to come back and be here bored and alone until my next exam on the 21st just made me so miserable and angry. Lots of swear words around the time of receiving that email. But then I sent a few more emails and talked to my teacher in person and fingers crossed, it could be possible. See, up and down.

Also, I received my exam result for the Spanish language course they put on for Erasmus students. I thought my exam went pretty well but then picking up a result of 95% made me so so so happy. I know the exam doesn’t count and since it was pretty much a recap of all the grammar I’ve ever learnt (and then a tiny bit more) it would have been shocking for me to have done badly. But still, buzzing. I was in the best mood but then that was ruined when I got on the tram to go home and then was accosted by these two lads. They were probably between 18-20. Despite there being signs all over the tram, and the two of them holding mobile phones, they asked me the time. I told them and then they asked me to have sex with them in Spanish. I told them I didn’t understand (even though I did) and that I didn’t speak Spanish (although I do) and though that would make them go away. It didn’t. They decided to sit down next to me and persisted in asking me, for ten minutes, to ‘fucky fucky’. I said no, repeatedly. They asked me if I knew what ‘fucky fucky’ meant. I said yes I do, but I still don’t want it to happen, repeatedly.  They made rude hand and mouth gestures (I’m sure you can imagine what they were) so I turned around so I was no longer looking at them. So they kept trying to get me to turn back and look by pulling their knobs out. I wish I were joking. I eventually told them to ‘fucky fucky off’ and they got off the tram about 5 stops away from mine. I don’t know what I would have done if they’d followed me when I got off. I mean I don’t think they would have done but the possibility was there. It was just awful because I was trapped in the corner of this busy tram and there were loads of people around and clearly I was not happy with what was going on but nobody did anything. I put it on Twitter and messaged people and most were really very helpful and I love those people. Some found it funny but I just ignored that. Obviously I wasn’t feeling great after this but then my pal James asked me if I fancied a 20-minute chat as a break from my work. An hour and a half later, after lots of giggles with James, and Cameron towards the end, I was feeling a lot better. Then I facetimed home and talked to Mam, Howie and Christopher and had pretty much forgotten about the whole thing. Ups and downs.

Before writing this it felt like loads of bad things had happened but really it’s just that they became such a big thing that it felt like everything was bad. Other good things to happen include: getting a reply from Robbie Williams on his Facebook Q&A, hitting 5000 views on my blog (thank you thank you thank you!!!!), continued email correspondence with one of my best pals back home that makes me feel like some CEO, buying sparkly Christmas decorations from Alcampo to take home, getting a 5€ Kinder calendario de adventio (which is sooooo good) and discovering I actually do like Kinder Bueno, doing my presentation on Much Ado About Nothing and actually making decent points and now having a definite direction to go in, finally listening to Robbie Williams’ new album ‘Under the Radar’ (a review of that potentially to come), and buying some last minute Christmas presents and going out for dinner on Saturday with my chicas.


 


Oh yeah. Something else good happened. I GOT ONE DIRECTION TICKETS!!!!
OH MY GOD. I CAN’T EVEN. My brother is ace and has paid for half of the ticket for Christma so now I have to think of something better to get him. Anyway. On the 25th of October next year I will be going to see my beautiful boys at the Metro Radio Arena in my beautiful Newcastle. I’d fully prepared myself for ticket sales to be a nightmare and having to refresh for four hours or not getting any at all. What happened? I refreshed the page dead on 10am (9am GMT), got straight through, and had my ticket email by 10:03. Easy peasy. I’m very tempted to pick up a last minute ticket on Twitter in September for one of the London shows though – I’ll be in Norwich and it could be a nice little Friday night treat to go see the boys. I’m so happy.




Today we had the day off because it’s a national holiday for the Immaculate Conception so that’s fun. I’ve pretty much finished all of my work; my portfolios for direct translation and literature and cinema are both done, I’ve corrected ¾ of our group translation for inverse translation, I’ve finished my final individual class translation for inverse translation, and I’ve sent over the last of my contribution to our rules and uses group work. Now I just need to do that last ¼, write an essay plan for my Much Ado About Nothing essay, revise (a bit) for my literature and cinema mock exam, and try and learn all the words ever for our inverse translation exam on Wednesday and (hopefully) our direct translation exam next week.

So things are definitely up and down. I just need to try and remember that they do get better if I give them time. I’m not the best at that. We’ve reached the point where I can now say I’m going home NEXT WEEK. I can’t believe this first semester is so close to being done. It simultaneously feels like I arrived six years ago and just yesterday all at the same time. I think I’m glad I’ve done it. I’m definitely glad I haven’t given up because at times that has felt like a definite possibility. Cray cray. Anyway, should probably go. Back to uni tomorrow after a three-day weekend and I feel like it’s going to be very very difficult to wake up in the morning.

Laters.
Hasta luego


No comments:

Post a Comment