Thursday 4 September 2014

ALICANTE, HE LLEGADO

Well then. Here we are. I LIVE IN SPAIN.


It's such a strange concept. Every so often I remind myself that this is an actual thing that has happened and is happening and it's so strange.

So Tuesday morning, I was awake at half 3, ready to leave the house at 4 and get to the airport for half past four. I had three heavy heavy (except all weighing less than 20kg) suitcases expertly packed by my mother, as well as a small hang luggage suitcase. Check in was smooth and we weren't in departures for very long. I think I was too tired and nervous to take it all in! Mind, Newcastle airport is quite full early in the morning. Normally we fly at around 4pm and I always think it's busy then but it has nothing on 5:30AM.

The flight was fine too, nothing special. It was quite short and I was asleep all through France. When we got there, there was nobody at passport control (lol Spain) and we got our bags within about twenty minutes. We got the C-6 bus to the port I think, which was very close to the hotel my family are staying in. We checked in there then went for food at some random Spanish restaurant. I had this awful pasta dish but everyone else seemed to enjoy what they had! Francesca's flight didn't land until about 5:30PM so in the afternoon we decided to walk to see if we could find my house. We found it after a little mishap and the view is incredible. LOOK


Aaaaah I can't cope with how pretty it is!
Francesca arrived and we met her at the house with all my luggage and unpacked and stuff and it was so nice. I'll post a tour thing when we actually have wifi installed! Her Spanish friends Aitana, Alejandra and Laura (who she met on their erasmus year at UEA!) met us at the apartment and we went up to the Plaza Mar shopping centre for Francesca to get a Spanish SIM card and then we went for food. By the time we left it was quite late and I was totally knackered, it was such a looooong day.

On Wednesday we went back up to Plaza Mar to do some grocery shopping. It's a really short walk except when you have to carry 6 bottles of water... I think we're going to do it online from now on.

I did find my namesake in Alcampo though.




We had quite a chilled afternoon of decorating, so if you squint/zoom you might see yourself.



Then we went into Luceros to try and get wifi, except you need a Spanish bank account. Total nightmare. We're going to try again tomorrow with my Nana and Granda who have one so hopefully we can get wifi!

After that nightmare we came back and just sat and chatted on the balcony and prepared our first meals! 

I obviously made chilli and garlic chicken with rice (which can be found here on my blog) which was byoooodiful.

Today was orientation day on campus! I met up with two girls I had met through the third year abroad twitter account, Torrie and Sarah who are so nice. We had to queue for about an hour for the orientation thing and I swear we were the only ones talking. Awks. Anyway orientation was easy then we had a campus tour from 12-1 aka the hottest time of day sooooo we kind of straggled at the back and didn't hear anything that was said. We're so bad. Campus is so pretty though, as well as the campus card! 

 

Then me and Francesca went in search of somewhere to buy a rechargable tram ticket but obviously the one on campus is broken. Typical Spain. Then we went to the library for a bit so Francesca could have a wifi fix haha.

Now we're back at the apartment and I'm writing this and Francesca is doing something else and then we're going to go to the beach for the first time since we got here!

My family leave on Sunday and I'm dreading it a bit but I think I'll be fine here. It is sooooo hot. I find it difficult to sleep but it should get better.

I'm not going to do the links and stuff because I want to swim. Hasta luego (or hasta cuando tengo wifi)

bye

No comments:

Post a Comment