Sunday 8 July 2018

GUESS WHO'S BACK

I haven't written anything for my blog for three months. One of my resolutions this year was to post every month. Lol. I tend to only come here when I'm feeling the sads. But not today. Today I have a life update, yay!

I feel like a bit of a fraud saying I've not written anything because masters degrees are hard. Like, I'm sure some of them truly are very very difficult but like... I had about 8 contact hours a week and never particularly felt like I was being super stretched mentally. The workload has been okay. All I have left to do now is my final project, a 10,000 word translation with a 5,000 word commentary which I'm about 0.5% through. Oops. I haven't really had the time to dedicate to it yet but now it is my sole focus and I am gonna smash it out. I've chosen to translate a selection of short folktales from the Canary Islands.




Speaking of the Canary Islands, as most people know, I spent the academic year 2016-17 as an English language assistant, teaching at a primary school in Lanzarote. My wee update is that this week I found out that my application to return to my school was accepted and I shall be teaching at CEIP Ajei from October 2018. SO EXCITED. It was never guaranteed that I'd be placed back in my school; they could have put me anywhere. I got Canary Islands as my regional allocation and that was a very positive first step. But they still could have placed me on any of the islands in any of the schools. I am so grateful that I had a shining recommendation letter from my old headteacher and that I based my application around the fact I had such a positive experience there. 




This time when I go out will be a bit different. Firstly, my grandparents have moved house so I will literally be living somewhere else. Yes fair enough the new apartment is about ten minutes from the old one but shush. This time I'll know the routine of the school and the job and so won't need the awkward introductory month where nobody knows what's going on. The teachers will know me and so will two years of the kids. The kids will know I speak Spanish which isn't great, since the whole time you're meant to pretend that you don't. Oops. Must try v hard to speak English all the time and not fall into the comfortable option of explaining things in Spanish. Sounds daft that it will be easier for me to speak in my second language than my mother tongue but because school is such an intensive Spanish environment for me, sometimes I forget how English works. We shall see. I hope I will have pals this time around. Last time I had good ol' Tomothy over in Arrecife but it would be nice to find some conejeros or people in PDC to be my amigos. Can someone invent Tinder for friends please.


 


It will also be different when I go out this time because of another life update. Yes my friends, you are now reading the blog of a no longer single girl. Insert fireworks and party poppers here. Who'd have thought that would ever happen? I felt very very perpetually single until this lovely young man strolled into my life in some kinda weird circumstance and now I don't remember what life was like before him. Soppy soppy vom vom yack I know. I'm not gonna write a lot about him because 1) he's pretty private, 2) I find it a bit too much when people ramble all lovey dovey publicly and 3) I don't want you all to vomit. All there is to say is that I am a very happy little smitten kitten and am excited for him to come visit me in the sunshine. I'll not put up a picture of him but if you're decent at internet stalking you'll find him.

I have two puppies now which is crazy. Crazier is the thought of leaving them :( It will be very very difficult but they'll be in good hands. Hopefully they'll start to understand what FaceTime is.



I guess those are all the updates for now. Should I think of any more, I'll probably not blog about them. Catch me on Twitter or something.

Hasta la próxima

KB

ps

It's coming home xo






No comments:

Post a Comment